Bruce A. Goldberger, Ph.D., DABFT
Office: UF Health Pathology Laboratories, 4800 SW 35th Drive, Gainesville, FL 32608
Phone: (352) 265-9904
Current Research Interests
Dr. Goldberger has published numerous articles related to forensic toxicology and is co-editor of the Handbook of Workplace Drug Testing and On-Site Drug Testing. His studies in forensic toxicology have included the analysis of alcohol in breath and the measurement of therapeutic, abused and emerging drugs in biological tissues, including alternative matrices such as hair, nails and vitreous humor. Dr. Goldberger’s most significant contribution to the field of forensic toxicology was the identification and measurement of heroin and its metabolites in hair and other fluids and tissues.
- B.A. degree in Zoology (1982), Drew University, Madison, New Jersey
- M.S. degree in Forensic Toxicology (1985), University of Maryland School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Baltimore, Maryland
- Ph.D. degree in Forensic Toxicology (1993), University of Maryland School of Medicine, Department of Pathology. Baltimore, Maryland
- Thombs DL, O’Mara RJ, Wei H, Wagenaar AC, Dong HJ, Merves ML, Goldberger BA, Weiler RM, Dodd VJ and Clapp JD. 5-HTTLPR genotype and associations with intoxication and intention to drive: Results from a field study of bar patrons. Addict. Bio. 16: 133-141 (2011).
- Reisfield GM, Goldberger BA, Crews BO, Pesce AJ, Wilson GR, Teitelbaum SA and Bertholf RL. Ethyl glucuronide, ethyl sufate, and ethanol in urine after sustained exposure to an ethanol-based hand sanitizer. J. Analyt. Toxicol. 35: 85-91 (2011).
- Morey TE, Booth MM, Prather RA, Nixon SJ, Boissoneault J, Melker RM, Goldberger BA, Wohltjen H and Dennis DM. Measurement of ethanol in gaseous breath using a miniature gas chromatograph. J. Analyt. Toxicol. 35: 134-142 (2011).
- Reisfield GM, Goldberger BA, Pesce AJ, Crews BO, Wilson GR, Teitelbaum SA and Bertholf RL. Ethyl Glucuronide, Ethyl Sulfate, and Ethanol in Urine after Intensive Exposure to High Ethanol Content Mouthwash. J. Analyt. Toxicol. 35: 264-268 (2011).
- Bertholf RL, Bertholf AL, Reisfield GM and Goldberger BA. Letter to the Editor – Respiratory exposure to ethanol vapor during use of hand sanitizers: Is it significant? J. Analyt. Toxicol. 35: 319-320 (2011).
- Goldberger B, Thogmartin J, Johnson H, Paulozzi L, Rudd R and Ibrahimova A. Drug overdose deaths – Florida, 2003-2009. MMWR 60:869-872 (2011).
- Ross EA, Watson M and Goldberger B. “Bath Salts” Intoxication. N. Engl. J. Med. 365:967-968 (2011).
- Reisfield GM, Goldberger BA, Gold MS and DuPont RL. The Mirage of Impairing Drug Concentration Thresholds: A Rationale for Zero Tolerance Per Se Driving under the Influence of Drugs Laws. J. Analyt. Toxicol. 36: 353-356 (2012).
- Paulozzi LJ, Ibrahimova A, Rudd RA, Goldberger BA, Thogmartin JR and Shelton K. A Comparison of Florida Medical Examiners’ Reports and Death Certificates for Specific Drug Related Overdose Deaths. Acad. Forensic Pathol. 2:190-197 (2012).
- Ross EA, Reisfield GM, Watson MC, Chronister CW and Goldberger BA. Psychoactive “Bath Salts” Intoxication with Methylenedioxypyrovalerone. Am. J. Med. 125:854-858 (2012).